“Your Brilliance is that light that god placed in you” - Nicole Roberts Jones
In this episode, I share our inspiration for 2021 as it presents itself in the Bible story of Ester and how God has prepared each of us “For Such a Time as This.”
I walk you through insight from Ester’s life as a catalyst to see we each are called to use who we are for God’s ultimate purpose for our lives.
“You have the opportunity to move your extra with your ordinary and become extraordinary!” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 4:50 - “Your Brilliance is that light that God placed in you” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 8:14 - The story and inspiration of Ester
- 17:36 - Making the pivot to the next level God is calling you for
- 18:11 - “God desires more for you that you won’t be able to see” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 18:59 - Understanding your “For Such a Time as This” purpose
- 21:30 - “You have the opportunity to move your extra with your ordinary and become extraordinary!” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 23:38 - Shifting ourselves from Doing to Being
- 24:46 - Your invitation to Be the Answer: March 12 -13
- 29:23 - My Valentines gift to you
- 30:33 - The 5 lessons of Ester
- 33:00 - “Your comfort and your conviction can never coexist” - Nicole Roberts Jones
“Your comfort and your conviction can never coexist” - Nicole Roberts Jones
“When you were born to this world, God brought you here on assignment” - Nicole Roberts Jones
As 2020 comes to a close, Nicole is sharing in this episode from a thought-provoking conversation many women overlook as you go after that MORE that is rumbling inside of you. Whether that is your next best move at work or to start or grow your business and here it is…..
Have you realized that when you were born to this world, God brought you here on assignment?
During this episode, Nicole shares the 3 areas to dig into that will allow you to discover your assignment, commit to being the answer, and stand in the power of the ONE thing God has created you to do or be.
“You have a path that will light someone’s journey behind you” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 1:14 - “When you were born to this world, God brought you here on assignment” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 1:20 - Discovering how you are meant to make a difference in this world
- 2:43 - “You have everything you need, already inside of you” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 3:04 - Finding your fierce
- 8:19 - The definition of Fierce
- 10:27 - “People are looking for you and need you!” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 10:43 - How to live in your Fierce
- 12:33 - “You have a path that will light someone’s journey behind you” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 13:03 - Discovering your brilliance road map
- 17:42 - Making yourself aware of your gift
- 18:30 - “You came here prewired to do something or be something!” - Nicole Roberts Jones
- 20:15 - What have you been overlooking that’s great about you?
- 20:32 - Your Mission; should you choose to accept it
- 23:00 - Ingredients to bring abundance without even trying
- 25:56 - Paths to growing your gift
- 27:02 - Your homework for growth
- 28:31 - “You’ve got to have different levels to how people say yes to you.” - Nicole Roberts Jones
“You’ve got to have different levels to how people say yes to you.” - Nicole Roberts Jones
“Believe in the Power of Relationships” - Sheena Collier
Sheena Collier is a superconnector, convener, and strategic planner. Sixteen years ago, she moved to the Boston area to attend Harvard Graduate School of Education, after attending Spelman College in Atlanta. As a Black woman, she struggled to feel a sense of belonging at school and in the city. She didn’t know anyone or have a network, so she built one. Sheena started & joined organizations, became civically engaged, and hosted events that connected her to lots of different worlds, including education, politics, arts, community organizing, & business. She made connections that changed her life and learned techniques to navigate the city. This helped her build a broad network that she now leverages to benefit others.
As Founder & CEO of The Collier Connection (TCC), Sheena is designing a portfolio of solutions that disrupt the ways that Black professionals seek information, access, and belonging in cities. TCC also specializes in helping companies to engage employees, customers, & suppliers of color through strategic events and inclusive business practices. She has 15 years of experience in education, economic development, community organizing, & event planning, and uses her ability to navigate different environments to broker partnerships within and across sectors.
Sheena consults with a number of companies, most notably as the Senior Economic Opportunity Advisor at the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce. At the Chamber, she supports initiatives to engage the private sector in advancing economic inclusion. She led the creation of the Pacesetters program - a partnership of large and mid-sized companies & anchor institutions that commit to increase their spending with local, ethnic minority-owned businesses. In addition, for the past 3 years Sheena has curated Fierce Urgency of Now (F.U.N.), a City Awake festival designed to highlight the experiences, challenges, and possibilities for young professionals of color in Greater Boston.
Sheena is a 2020 recipient of the Harvard Club Boston’s Most Influential Women award; 2020 recipient of YW Boston’s Academy of Women Achievers Sylvia Ferrell-Jones Award; 2018 recipient of the GK25 - Who is Who Millennial Leaders of Color Awards; 2017 and 2018 nominee of the Ad Club’s Rosoff Awards; and a 2016 recipient of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s Ten Outstanding Young Leaders Award. She received her BA from Spelman College and her Ed.M. from Harvard Graduate School of Education. Sheena is a proud board member of Jeremiah Program Boston & Union Capital Boston, advisory board member of Boston Harbor Now, investor in the Boston Ujima Fund, and member of the Black Economic Council of Massachusetts (BECMA).
On the show this week, we speak with Sheena about her project Boston while Black as well has her professional life and moving from a Non-Profit to the Chamber of Commerce
“I think I’m in my sixth life” - Sheena Collier
- 2:36 - How Sheena got to where she is now
- 6:02 - Moving from Non-Profit to Profitable organisations
- 9.06 - Starting to work with Chamber of Commerce
- 18:07 - “I think I’m in my sixth life” - Sheena Collier
- 20:50 - 2 things to do in the face of fear
- 26:34 - Boston While Black
“Write a Personal Mission Statement” - Sheena Collier
“Have your end in mind.” - Nicky Sparrow
Nicky Sparrow is a powerful example of living the “American Dream”. She is a gifted manager whose business instincts and clear vision in the field of broadcast marketing have been recognized. Nicky has rapidly demonstrated leadership skills to support the growth and improvement in several iHeart Media’s properties.
Nicky began her career in the field of broadcast marketing in a small property in Tupelo, Mississippi in 1999, and she has been an unrelenting force ever since. Nicky’s early baby steps into the marketing business were followed by a 100-yard dash into iHeart Media (formally Clear Channel) management and sales to reach her current position as Market President of Jacksonville, FL. Since her time at iHeartMedia, she has served in the capacity of roles including as Senior Vice President of Sales in New Orleans, Director of Sales in Memphis and Tallahassee, and General Sales Manager in Jacksonville.
In this episode, Nicky shares her experience about being the only woman of color in a male-dominated industry. You will hear insight about what it really takes to build a successful career and learn about some of the defining moments in Nicky’s climb to the top. This conversation will inspire you and motivate you to make your own seat at the table.
“Have your elevator speech, and make sure it’s tied to the company’s success.” - Nicky Sparrow
- 3:45 - Nicky’s climb to having a seat at the table in an industry that has very few women of color
- 8:19 - “Have your end in mind.” - Nicky Sparrow
- 11:03 - How to stand out to the executives and climb the corporate ladder
- 11:21 - “Have your elevator speech, and make sure it’s tied to the company’s success.” - Nicky Sparrow
- 14:24 - Defining moments in Nicky’s career and how she has grown from them
- 20:04 - Words of wisdom for people who feel like they are facing discrimination
- 23:45 - “Sometimes I need to bring my own chair to get a seat at the table.” - Nicky Sparrow
- 25:25 - How Nicky navigates being labeled as “angry” when she is passionate about something
- 28:00 - Advice Nicky has for a woman who is at the edge of her pivot
“Sometimes I need to bring my own chair to get a seat at the table.” - Nicky Sparrow
“Standing in my truth is everything” - Tina Lifford
Hollywood veteran Tina Lifford plays the vivacious breakout character Aunt Vi on the critically acclaimed television drama, Queen Sugar. However, she is equally accomplished behind the camera, Tina is the respected playwright of THE CIRCLE, a play about how seven diverse women navigate the choppy waters of life together; author of The Little Book of BIG LIES (released by Harper Collins in November 2019); and CEO of The Inner Fitness Project, a personal development network committed to making the practices and benefits of “Inner Fitness” as familiar, well understood and accessible as those of physical fitness.
In this episode, Tina will share the work of Inner Fitness so that you can be fully alive and thrive in your life. Learn to reconnect with the deepest most satisfying parts of yourself, leave the past behind and dare to go after the life you most want to live. YES, you can have both outer success and true inner happiness!
“Say yes to ourselves” - Tina Lifford
- 00:46 - Tina’s background and introduction
- 02:47 - “Standing in my truth is everything” - Tina Lifford
- 04:45 - How you can face fear and overcome it
- 12:20 - “Say yes to ourselves” - Tina Lifford
- 14:45 - Understanding the surviving self, the thriving self, and infinite self
- 21:30 - Allowing God to let us do the impossible
- 23:02 - “When you accept yourself you are invincible” - Tina Lifford
- 26:08 - The most important thing for you to do!
“When you accept yourself you are invincible” - Tina Lifford
- For a Free Foundational Inner Fitness Workout CLICK HERE and use the code “Thrive”