“I have to find my voice and not play small” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt
Cecilia Nelson-Hurt is the Assistant Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion for L’Oréal USA, and is responsible for shaping the company’s diversity efforts through innovative initiatives to ensure equal opportunity workplace. She is also an Advisory Board Member of Black Women of Influence (BWOI) , a sisterhood of highly accomplished women. She also serves on the boards of YouthBridge NY and the Vogue Knitting Diversity Advisory Council where she helps each organization create diverse and inclusive strategies.
On this episode, Cecilia shares her vision to continually strive for more and to never settle for less, which has shaped her career. She also shares her trailblazing success from being a recruiter of an affinity group to becoming a front liner for women of color. She encourages women to constantly believe in their own abilities. Listen to this episode and find out how openness and curiosity make a huge difference in going after what’s next for you.
“I acknowledge that there is room for all” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt
- 00:53 – Who is Cecilia Nelson-Hurt?
- 02:10 – How she got into Diversity and Inclusion
- 08:51 – Joining the affinity group leadership
- 13:14 – How she knew that there was MORE for her to do
- 16:06 – Sitting in 2 spaces
- 16:50 – Lacking diversity in the knitting community
- 18:45 – The opportunity to find her voice
- 19:16 – “I have to find my voice and not play small” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt
- 19:57 – Finding value in your passion
- 22:56 – Getting over self-doubt
- 24:58 – “I acknowledge that there is room for all” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt
- 25:10 – Staying ready to evolve
- 27:29 – Journey to becoming a storytelling
- 28:07 – “I am open to whatever comes” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt
- 29:57 – Being in a state of openness
“I am open to whatever comes” - Cecilia Nelson-Hurt